Are you looking for someone who can talk about how to deal with nonprofit or startup risks and galvanize your audience into action? Book Risk Alternatives CEO and Founder Ted Bilich to speak your team or audience.
Ted’s mission is to foster stronger communities by building sustainable nonprofits and healthy, scalable startups. According to his audiences, Ted is an “outstanding” communicator with “superb” command of the subject matter and a “very effective and clear presentation style.”
Ted's Most Requested Topics
“Risk” is not a dirty word. Ted maintains that uncertainty is a fact of life. Risks includes both threats and opportunities. The “risk-nimble” organization deals with this reality by setting up simple processes that help the entire team deal with threats and opportunities in ways that make the organization thrive. Audiences leave with practical, step by step guidance about how they can apply these basic processes to enhance sustainability in the face of uncertainty.
What emerging risks face nonprofits, and what practical steps can your organization take now to manage those threats and opportunities? These days, nonprofits face a perfect storm of risks. Ted narrows in on the timely, hidden-behind-the-headlines, critical risks that nonprofits can address now to increase their resilience and dramatically enhance their likelihood of success.
What are the hidden risks facing startups, and how can simple, actionable processes dramatically improve a startup’s chance of success? Entrepreneurs are risk takers, but there’s no reason to take unnecessary risks. Why make the path harder than it already is? This presentation emphasizes the tools and hacks entrepreneurs can use to multiply the business value of their startup.
How do we foster social capital? This presentation explains how organizations and communities thrive when they can develop social capital — the bonds that allow people to do things together that they cannot do separately — and provides simple, actionable steps to enable dramatic transformation.
Is your board fulfilling its risk management obligations? Boards are often unaware about their limited but critical role in risk management. They should be “nose in, but hands off.” Ted explains what board members can do today to fulfill their obligations and build more vibrant, healthy, resilient organizations.
Ted Bilich is the CEO of Risk Alternatives LLC, , which works with nonprofits and entrepreneurs to help them identify and address threats and opportunities, confront challenges, and put processes and systems in place to achieve their goals.
Ted has more than 25 years of experience counseling organizations about how to simplify and deal with complex issues. Before founding Risk Alternatives, Ted was a Distinguished Visiting Professor from Practice at Georgetown University Law Center. At Georgetown, his research focused on complex dispute resolution, rule structures, risk management, governance, and compliance. Before that, Ted served for more than 20 years with the Washington DC office of the international law firm of Jones Day. Ted has lectured, written, presented, and consulted on risk management, board governance, civic engagement, ethics, and numerous other issues. He received his B.A. in economics summa cum laude from Wake Forest University, and his J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School.
Summary of Experience:
- More than 25 years of experience counseling clients on complex business and dispute-resolution issues, including risk management, governance, and compliance challenges.
- More than 25 years of combined service on non-profit boards, associational committees, and government commissions.
- More than a decade offering risk management training, counseling, and research.
- More than 15 years of experience in teaching, including designing classes, teaching large and small groups, developing active learning environments, and counseling learners to incorporate lessons into their everyday activities.
What audiences say about Ted
- "Ted Bilich is a compelling and informative presenter on risk analysis and risk management. Ted takes complicated and arcane subject matter and makes it easy to understand and digest into actionable steps. Whether your organization has a highly organized risk management function or is just starting out, Ted’s presentation and information can be highly useful to developing appropriate risk management techniques and best practices."
- Bilich is “outstanding.”
- Bilich is "fantastic. He has an amazing command of the material and presents in a very straightforward, understandable way."
- Bilich's "command of the subject matter is superb, he is an encouraging discussion leader, and he is open to comments . . . ."
- “[T]ruly one-of-a-kind. [Ted] makes really complex [issues] extremely interesting and brings an enthusiasm to each subject which makes the subject matter engaging and easy to understand.”